I am pretty unorganised and also very messy. I’m not sure if I am unorganised due to the mess or messy due to being unorganised – but when you’re a Mummy to three little ones neither one is good.
With school runs, lack of sleep due to a newborn and husband starting a new job, I was definitely starting to feel overwhelmed. I needed to get organised!! So here’s what I’ve been doing:
- Getting clothes ready the night before. This sounds simple and I have kind of done it for a while but always seem to fall at the final hurdle. I would get uniforms all washed and ironed ready for the day ahead but forget about tights/socks and most importantly shoes!! Shoes are the main morning argument in our house. Nobody, including me, can ever find their shoes in the morning. Believe it or not we actually have a shoe cupboard which unfortunately is like a black hole. Lesson learned, I need to have their shoes out ready the night before!
- Sandwiches made the night before. I always like to do them in morning but there is honestly no time! I also make sure that packed lunch boxes are out on the table with biscuits and fruit already in them so all I need to add is a yogurt and sandwich from the fridge.
- Nappy bag packed – baby powder is in the compartment, nappies and wipes are packed. Sometimes we come home after the school run but I always grab it with me just in case.
- Slow cooker teas – oh my I had no idea how I coped without my slow cooker. If I am going out straight after dropping Meme off from school then I prep the night before so all i have to do is literally thow it in the pot. With a husband who doesn’t finish work until 8pm this has been a godsend.
- 2pm alarm – yes I have an alarm on my phone set for 2pm. The days go so fast and with a baby there is no rushing out to do the school run. When my alarm goes I know it is time to start getting the baby changed and fed before going to pick up the girls.
- I write lists – I need to empty my head onto a piece of paper every couple of days before it explodes! When I write it I also try to tick a few items on there – I feel that this definitely helps spur me on to get things done.
Doing these few things definitely make things easier. It is still hard and towards the end of the week I get so tired in the evenings that I really can’t be bothered prepping for the next day. However, I know if I don’t prep, life will be much more chaotic and I often feel like I’m chasing my tail.
What do you do to make your life a little easier? Do you have any tips for me?