We are approaching the first half term of the school year and I can honestly say that it couldn’t have come fast enough. I always find the first term hard, especially when it’s their first time at school. I remember vividly when Meme started school a couple of years ago, breathing a sigh of relief when reaching the same point.
Here is what I have learned from Harri’s first term at school:
- I need to stock up on uniforms – this girl will come home from school covered in mud and food. There is no getting a couple of wears out of her uniform (like Meme does). She will need a clean one every single day! She has also stained 2 school tops and lost a school jumper, who knows what we will be left with by the end of the year.
- Don’t spend a fortune on fancy school shoes. Unlike her sister who keeps them in great condition all year around, we are 6 weeks in and hers are looking pretty destroyed already. I will be amazed if they are still wearable by Christmas.
- Don’t underestimate the amount of party invites she will receive. Seriously, I think I must have blocked it out since Meme was in reception but the amount of parties she gets invited to is mind blowing. Prepare yourself and stock up on presents!
- Label everything – no explanation needed, I should know better!
- Let her find her own way. This is a hard one for me. I remember after Meme finished reception saying the same thing. I need to worry less and let them find their own way. Easier said than done, I was full on in the first couple of weeks, asking who she was playing with, had she made friends etc. It is too much, I was stressing us all out and generally just making the situation worse. I now leave her to it. If she wants to talk about school she can but there is no pressure.
Have you learned anything from the first term?