Now I love my children and I love being a Mummy, however being a parent is life changing and there are a few of the simple things that I miss from my BC (before children) days.
- Freedom – to come and go as I please. To get in my car and drive. To spontaneously go on a night out, I miss this. Now I have children, I make a plan and pretty much 5 hours later leave the house!! A night out is planned with months of preparation and, usually in my case, cancelled hours before I am due to leave the house due to a sick child!
- High heels – I know being a Mummy doesn’t mean I have to stop wearing them and I still occasionally do. However, BC I wore heels every day, I feel nicer in them, smarter. Before I had Children I don’t think I even owned a pair of flat shoes. Now I spend the majority of my days doing school runs, chasing Harri in the park and taking Alfie for walks, my converse are my shoe of choice.
- Chatting to my friends. Seriously, I miss sitting and chatting to people. Having actual conversations and listening instead of always being preoccupied trying to entertain Harri or comfort Alfie.
- Choices – I miss watching my programmes – sometimes I want to put a Mummy programme on instead of Sofia the First, sometimes I want to listen to the radio in the car instead of Disney Princesses. I miss having a choice.
- Sleep – oh this is a big one. Oh how I miss sleep. Going to bed when I want to, waking up when I want to – having lazy mornings in bed whenever the mood takes me.
- Time – like most parents of little ones I literally have no time ever. Me and my husband often say to each other what did we do before children, we must have had so much time! Before I had children I thought I was busy…oh I had no idea!
- Relaxing – not in the sense that you think although that kind of relaxation would be nice. I mean in the sense of not having to be thinking and watching all the time. To not have to do a risk assessment in my head every place we visit. To not worry about stuff all the time. With Children I feel like I constantly need to be switched on!
- Travelling lightly – to leave the house with the tiniest handbag. Obviously now I have a 12 week old baby I take everything with me. Bottles, nappies, spare clothes. However, even before Alfie was born and I just had my girls I still carried snacks, drinks, crayons, paper, dolls etc around with me. I can’t remember the days I held just my money, phone and a lipstick in my bag!
- Money – earning a full time wage and spending it on whatever I liked. I used to spend an obscene amount of money on clothes, shoes and makeup. Now if I am in need of new make up I head to the cheaper products rather than the Dior counter. Even when I do have a little money I really struggle to spend it on myself, I can’t help but head straight to the children’s clothes section.
Whilst I certainly wouldn’t change my life now (it is filled with much more love, fun and adventures than ever before), I do sometimes miss my old carefree life…just a little.
Is there anything that you miss?